Thursday, January 6, 2011
Steamed Green Chilies
5-6 long, green chilies, cut into 4 pieces, slit and keep stems (available in Indian stores)
Boil together -
4 cups water
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1. Rinse and dry chilies. Cut into 4 pieces. Keep the stem for the rustic look. Make slits on the chilies.
2. Boil water with salt and turmeric powder.
3. Add chilies. Boil for 5 minutes. Switch the gas to low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Switch off the gas. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes. Drain completely.
5. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add asafoetida. Drizzle the sizzling oil over the chilies. Give a quick stir.
6. Bafela marcha is ready to be served with farsans - snacks like dhokla and khandvi.
1. Refrigerate any unused portion and use within 2 days.