2 cups cluster beans, torn into 2" pieces
Handful of Gujarati vadies, roasted in 2 tsp oil and set aside.
salt to taste
2 tsp dhana-jiru/coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp grated jaggery
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp ajmo/owa/ajwain
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 tsp ginger-green chili paste
1. Steam cluster beans in a pressure cooker. Add water as needed. Set aside to cool down. Roast vadies in a spoonful of oil. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add all the tempering ingredients.
3. As they sizzle, add cooked & cooled beans, and remaining ingredients. Add cooking water as well.
4. Simmer till all the water is evaporated.
5. Serve with rotli or thepla.
1. Traditionally, very tender, small cluster beans are chosen carefully for recipe. They are kept whole by just removing both ends. We do not get tender cluster beans here. So I tear them into 2" pieces.
2. Instead of vadies, potatoes can be added. If you want to add the potatoes, steam them with the cluster beans.
3. If you want, you can keep a little gravy by not letting all the water evaporate.