Sunday, December 5, 2010
When my aunt visited us last summer, she shared many of my grandmother's recipes. I am hoping to feature all of them on this blog soon. Generally, sannapoLo is like a thick & spicy pancake usually made with seeds. But in this recipe chana daal is used. I used my small pancake pan to make 7 pancakes simultaneously. It gave the perfect circular shape. The traditional sannapolo is bigger than above.
ChaNya DaaLi SannapoLo
Bengal Gram Daal Pancake
1/2 cup chana daal, soak in warm water for 6 hours
Grind to paste
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
7-9 red chilies, roasted
2 tbsp fresh coconut
salt to taste
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
Oil for frying
1. Grind drained daal with remaining ingredients.
2. Stir in chopped onion.
3. Heat a pan or griddle. Pat a thick pancake.
4. Make a whole in the center. Drizzle some oil in the hole and around the pancake.
5. Let it cook on both sides.
1. This pancake is meant to be very spicy. It should be hot red in color.
2. It is not served as a breakfast or snack item. Instead it is served as an accompaniment with daaLi tauy and rice.