1/4 cup toor daal
1/4 cup yellow moong daal
1/4 cup chana daal
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp mild chili powder
1 tsp Gujarati garam masala
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1. Wash and pressure cook 3 daals. Mash and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add all the spices. As they sizzle, add onion and garlic. Saute till onion is soft.
3. Add tomato and saute again for about 5 minutes.
4. Now, add chili powder and garam masala. Saute for 1 minute.
5. Add mashed daal and water to adjust the consistency.
6. Add salt and bring to a rapid boil.
7. Switch the gas to low. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
1. Paprika can be used as a mild chili powder.