Friday, October 15, 2010
There are two ways of making mag ni daal. One is this wet version and the other is dried version (kori daal).
Mag ni Daal
Yellow Moong Daal
1/2 cup yellow moong daal
salt to taste
1 tsp coriander-cumin powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
Grind to paste
2 green chilies (or per desired heat)
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 small onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1. Pressure cook yellow moong daal and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and turmeric powder. As they sizzle, add onions. Saute till onion is soft. Now add tomatoes and fry for 5 minutes.
3. Now, add ground paste. Fry for 5 minutes.
4. Add mashed daal, coriander-cumin powder, chili powder, salt.
5. Add water to get the desired consistency. Bring to boil.
6. Switch the gas to low.
7. Simmer for 5 minutes.
1. MIL suggests using more oil for the traditional way of making this daal.
2. Though this daal has curry like consistency, do not add too much water to get broth like results.
3. Adjust chili powder depending on the number of green chilies used in this daal.