A pooda/pancake which is just right when you get a bounty of cucumbers from your veggie garden.
Kakdi na Pooda
2 tbsp besan
2 tbsp jowar flour
salt to taste
1 tsp ginger, grated
2 green chilies chopped
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
Sour buttermilk as needed to soak the flour
A pinch of baking soda (Optional)
Oil for frying
1. Mix all the dry flours with sour buttermilk for 4 - 6 hours. Keep covered in a warm place in order to get good fermentation. The batter should resemble the idli batter.
2. Now add all the remaining ingredients except oil.
3. Heat a pan or tawa or griddle.
4. Pour a ladleful of batter to make a circle. Drizzle oil around the "pooda". Cover and cook. Flip and cook on the other side. Make sure that the pooda is nicely crispy.
5. Serve with chutney or ketchup along with chhaas.
1. Do not add too much water or buttermilk after cucumber is added. Cucumber will leave the moisture.
2. You can also add some chopped green garlic or green onion for a different flavor.