What a big difference simple owa makes! For making ghevdyachi bhaaji, mom puts owa in the tempering along with the usual tempering trinity of mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. This simple inclusion adds a unique flavor to ghevda.
घेवडा बटाट्याची भाजी
2 cups ghevda, strings removed and torn into 1" pieces
1 potato, peeled & chopped
salt to taste
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp grated jaggery
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp owa/ajmo/ajwain
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp goda masala
2 tbsp fresh coconut (optional)
1. Hear oil in a saucepan. Add all the ingredients for tempering except goda masala. As the seeds splutter, add goda masala. Saute for 1 minute.
2. Add potatoes and veggie pieces, chili powder. Sprinkle few drops of water.
3. Cover with a lid. Let it cook till the veggies are soft.
4. Add salt, jaggery and coconut.
1. Ghevda is a variety of Indian string beans. It is also known as papdi or vaal papdi. It is not same as Surti papdi.