Friday, September 24, 2010

Eggs Thoran

My MIL who is a Gujarati and her best friend, K. Aunty who is a Malyali, communicate with each other in Marathi. So don't blame me if you find K aunty's this recipe appears to be lost in translation. But it sure is quick & delicious. Oh, yeah...My MIL is a pukka vegetarian and K aunty is a pukka non-vegetarian. So I don't know how they discussed about eggs thoran, but MIL shared this recipe with me since Gudiya loves eggs!!:-D

Eggs Thoran

Scrambled Eggs


2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites, whisked
salt to taste

1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
1 small onion or shallot, chopped
2 red chilies, halved
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp urad daal

1 tbsp fresh coconut, grated
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped (optional)

1. Whisk eggs & salt and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan or a wok. add the ingredients for tempering except onion. As all the seeds and daal start popping, add onion. Saute till onion is soft.
3. Add whisked eggs mixture. Keep on stirring on a low flame till it resembles scrambled egg.
4. Stir in coconut & cilantro - if using.
5. Serve with bread or chapati.

Note -
1. I use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites for this thoran. You can use 4 whole eggs.

Some more Eggs Thoran recipes from Blogosphere -

Niya's version
My Pleasure...My Treasure's version
Mayoora's version
Kaipunyam's version
Kairali Sisters' Version


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs