Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Eggplants, drumsticks, potatoes and lima beans make an awesome combination. Try this simple bhaaji which is flavored with goda masala.
Shenga Vangyachi Bhaaji
शेंगा वांग्याची भाजी
4 - 5 small eggplants, quartered
2 medium potatoes, peeled & sliced
1 cup green lima beans/paavte/vaal lilva
6 -9 small pieces of drumsticks/shevgyachya shenga/saragawa (Indian vegetable)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp jaggery
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tso asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp goda masala
2 tbsp fresh coconut
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. As they splutter, add goda masala. Saute on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
2 Add all the veggies on after the other. Add chili powder. Saute for 1 minute.
3. Add 1/2 cup water. Cover with a lid. Keep some water on the lid.
4. Let it cook on a low flame till veggies are cooked.
5. Add salt and jaggery. Add more water if needed.
6. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with fresh coconut.
1. To expedite the process, you can use pressure pan.