Wednesday, August 4, 2010
This used to be one of the popular items at the Punjabi restaurants. I recreated the recipe using the ingredients available here.
Methi Matar Malai
Fenugreek Leaves with Green peas and cream
1 bunch fresh fenugreek leaves
2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
Grind to a smooth paste
1 cup sliced onions
2 garlic cloves
1 1/2" ginger, peeled & chopped
1 green cardamom
1/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 -3 cloves
* Ground paste
A pinch of turmeric powder
2 green chilies, slit or chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp garam masala
1. Rinse methi leaves. Chop them roughly and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a kadai or saucepan.
3. Add whole spices and turmeric powder. As they sizzle, add ground paste.
4. Saute for 15 minutes.
5. Add chopped methi and 1/4 cup water.
6. Cover and let it cook.
7. Add water as needed without letting it burn.
8. Add salt to taste.
9. Garnish with chilies - if using and garam masala.
1. If you want you can sprinkle salt on chopped methi and squeeze the juice out to remove the bitterness. I find this step unnecessary since we enjoy that bitter flavor.