Dudhi Chi Koshimbeer/Bharit
Bottle Gourd Salad
1 small, very fresh/tender bottlegourd, grated with peels & seeds
salt to taste
sugar to taste
2 tbsp roasted, unsalted peanuts, crushed coarsely
1 cup yogurt or more per taste
1 green chili, chopped
1 tsp oil or ghee/clarified butter
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Mix grated gourd with yogurt, salt, sugar, chili & peanuts powder
2. If using, heat oil in a small saucepan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
3. Add sizzling oil to the salad
4. Garnish with cilantro.
1. Since we are making this salad raw, the bottle gourd needs to be very fresh. I also used peels and seeds since it was fresh.
2. Alternatively, you can steam/boil the dudhi chunks in the pressure cooker and mash it completely and then proceed with the exact same procedure. In that case, the same salad goes with the name - "Dudhiche Bharit". Be sure to get rid of any excess moisture after pressure cooking the bottle gourd.