Sunday, August 1, 2010
This recipe is shared by my neighbor from Mumbai. I pretty much grew up eating this yummy creation!
1 cup dates, chopped
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 - 1 cup sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
Grind to a coarse paste
1 cup walnut halves
4 walnut halves, broken into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease the cake pan and set aside.
2. Fold in dry mixture into wet egg mixture and keep mixing till there are no lumps.
3. Add the coarse walnut paste and dates. Pour in the cake pan. Garnish few walnut pieces on top
4. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or till inserted skewer comes out clean.
5. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Take off the cake from the pan.
6. Invert and serve with vanilla or coffee ice-cream
2. If the batter looks too stiff, add little milk - just a spoonful at a time.