Thursday, July 8, 2010
Haldar-Ambahaladar nu athanu -2
Fresh Turmeric pickle
4-5 pieces fresh mango ginger, peeled & grated - approx = 1/4 cup
4-5 pieces fresh turmeric, peeled & grated - approx = 1/4 cup
1 piece ginger, peeled & grated - approx = 1 tbsp
1 small raw mango, grated - approx = 1/4 cup
2 green chilies, cut into small pieces
3 tbsp - 1/4 cup sambhaar masala/Gujarati pickle masala (adjust per taste)
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (add more to get more moisture to the pickle)
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoeitda.
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1. Rinse and completely dry all the vegetables. Once all the moisture is gone, peel and grate them. There is no need to peel the raw mango.
2. Mix all the ingredients in a ceramic or glass bowl.
3. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add all the seeds and powders. Keep aside to cool down completely.
4. Once cooled off, add tempered oil to the pickle.
5. Stir well.
6. Serve next day.
7. Keep the leftovers in the refrigerator. Use within a week.
1. When dealing with fresh turmeric (peeling, cutting, grating), your fingers will be totally yellow.
2. This pickle has raw mango. But lemon juice is also added for getting the adequate moisture.