Monday, July 26, 2010
Some recipes are very down to earth simple, yet they can't be made to perfection. The flavor, taste, texture and conversation that's etched in the memory can never be achieved especially when you are trying your grandmothers' creations. Gurgutya bhaat is one such simple soft rice recipe. It needs grandmother's touch to achieve the perfection. Still, I attempted it here thinking about my loving grandmothers.
Super Soft Rice
1 cup rice
1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds
6 cups water
salt to taste
Metkoot (Recipe coming soon)
1. Soak rice & fenugreek seeds in water for at least 30 minutes. Drain.
2. Bring water to boil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add salt. Lower the gas.
3. Add drained rice and seeds.
4. Let it cook on a low flame till all the water is absorbed.
5. Switch off the gas. Cover tightly with a lid.
1. Rice to water ratio is intentionally kept high. However, the consistency shouldn't be watery. It should have soft porridge like texture.
2. The suggested accompaniments are actually "must have" accompaniments to enjoy this delicacy.