Thursday, July 15, 2010

Green Olive "Nonche" pickle

I know I have come a long way. When I came to US, I had to work on my taste buds extensively to get used to the fast food. Everyone loves Pizza Hut's Veggie lovers, right? Well, the amount of cheese oozing out of pizza and those black olives made me not eat it.:-(

I used to take off each and every olive bit, remove the cheese and then eat the remaining pizza. Well, came to know later that you could just order your portion of pizza without cheese or olives! 

Well, somewhere down the road, I started liking olives. I don't know how. I guess, my taste buds got adjusted. Now, I even eat olives from the jar! What an improvement! Those green olives in salty brine solution remind me of the midi nonche made with small raw mangoes. So I decided to make olive nonche - American Desi style.

Green Olive Nonche
Green Olive Pickle
Ingredients
1 can whole green olives, pitted

To make salt solution/brine
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup salt

Grind to a fine paste
1 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
3 - 5 byadgi chilies (or per taste)
1 tbsp paprika for color
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

Squeeze in
1 lemon

Method
1. Rinse and drain olives. Set them aside to dry.

2. Bring water and salt to boil. Switch off the gas. Let it cool completely.
3. Grind seeds and powders very finely adding salt water as needed. You probably will not need all the salt water.
3. Mix the ground paste with dry olives.
4. Squeeze in fresh lemon. Stir well.
5. Keep aside covered for at least 1/2 a day.
6. Serve as a pickle with a typical Mangloori meal of daalitauy, sheeth (rice) and upkari.

Note -
1. I used the pitted green olives with only salt and water as the ingredients. They did not have any other preservatives. I used Lindsay Naturals brand.
2. Refrigerate the leftover pickle. Use within 2 weeks.
3. The olives were kept in sea salt and water solution. I was not sure if it was ok to use that solution to grind the masala. So I made my own brine solution - the way they make it for making the traditional nonche.


LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs