Godya Vaalachi Amti
गोड्या वालाची आमटी
3 cups gode vaal/suri vaal, cooked
salt to taste
1 tbsp jaggery
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tbsp goda masala
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
2 tbsp fresh coconut, grated
1. Pressure cook gode vaal and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida & curry leaves. As they splutter, add goda masala. Stir fry for 1 minute without letting the masala burn.
3. Add cooked beans along with the cooking liquid, kokum, jaggery, chili powder and salt. Add more water to get a curry consistency. Bring to boil.
4. As the curry boils, switch the gas to low. Add coconut and cilantro. Simmer for 10 minutes.
1. The curry is sweetish and has thin consistency.
2. Please do not substitute any other spice mix for goda masala.
3. 3 cups gode vaal in the ingredient list are obtained by soaking about 1 cup dry gode/surti vaal.