Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wari Muth


I came across this recipe of Wari Muth in Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley. I liked the simplicity of the dish. The recipe called for black beans. I was confused because I was not sure if they mean Indian black beans (whole urad) or Mexican black beans. I think though both beans are black, they differ in taste and texture. Recently, I purchased dark Kashmiri Kidney beans from the local Indian stores. So I decided to use those for this curry.

I was too lazy to take the dust off my slow cooker. So I used my good, old pressure cooker.

Wari Muth
Kashmiri Rajma Curry
Ingredients
1 cup dark Kashmiri rajma/kidney beans, soaked for 6 hours
1/2 tsp dried ginger powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds powder
1/4 tsp cloves powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
A small piece of Kashmiri masala tikki (or per taste)
salt to taste

Garnish
1/4 cup chopped cilantro - (optional)

Method
1. Pressure cook soaked beans till they are cooked.
2. Transfer them into a deep saucepan.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients.
4. Bring to boil. Lower the gas to low. Let it simmer, adding water as necessary till all the spices are incorporated.
5. Garnish with cilantro if using.

Note -
1. I added Kashmiri Masala because I had it in my pantry. The recipe calls for red chili flakes.
2. I served it with white rice.



Recipe Credits

http://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Vegetarian-Slow-Cooker-Sophisticated/dp/158008074X

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs