Summer is the perfect time to use those red, ripe tomatoes from your backyard or farmer's market to try this delicious pickle. This is my MIL's recipe.
10 medium red, ripe yet firm roma tomatoes, chopped approx. = 5 cups
1/4 cup - 1/2 cup Gujarati pickle/sambhaar masala (depending on the desired heat)
1 tbsp + 1/4 cup sesame oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds
1. Heat a 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan. Add all the seeds and asafoetida.
2. Now add chopped tomatoes. Keep on stirring on a medium heat. Tomatoes will leave lots of juices. Let them cook in their own juices for about 20 minutes or so till the mixture gets thick.
3. Add Gujarati pickle masala (It already has salt in it). Mix well. Switch off the gas
4. As tomatoes are cooking, heat 1/4 cup sesame oil in a separate saucepan. Bring to the boiling point and then switch off the gas. Let it cool down completely.
5. Pour over cooled tomato mixture. Stir well.
6. Store in an airtight, clean glass bottle
1. I haven't added additional salt since my pickle masala already has salt in it.
2. If you add more sambhar masala (1/2 cup), make sure to add more oil (1/2 cup) to the pickle to balance the heat.