For this bhaaji, kohlrabi is cut into two halves. It is then scraped using traditional coconut scraper (viLi) like you would scrape coconut halves.
Navalkolachi Bhaaji (Moog Daal Ghalun)
नवलकोलची भाजी (मूग डाळ घालून)
Kohlrabi Stir Fry
2-3 medium kohlrabi or 1 big kohlrabi/navalkol/alkol, peeled & grated
1/3 cup yellow moong daal, rinsed, soaked for 2 hours
salt to taste
A pinch of sugar
1/2 tsp chili powder
Grind to a coarse paste
2 green chilies
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp fresh coconut
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
2. As they sizzle, add drained moong daal. Fry for 1 minutes.
3. Add grated kohlrabi. Sprinkle few drops of water. Fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add ground coconut paste. Cover with a lid with some water on top.
5. Let it cook on medium flame till moong daal is cooked. It should not be a complete mush.
6. Add salt, sugar and chili powder
7. Garnish with fresh coconut.
1. Traditionally, kohrabi is cut into two halves and then scraped on the coconut scraper like one would scrape coconut halves. My lack of experience and skills resulted in using my food processor to grate the peeled Kohlrabi instead!