Thursday, January 10, 2013
Makai na Vada is a popular Gujarati snack. However, it's deep fried and I was reluctant to try it myself. But then I thought, why not use the recipe and make a roasted flatbread instead? Those who wish to make "Vada", use the following recipe and roll into small puri shaped discs and deep fry.
Makai na Vada/Thepla
1 cup Masa Harina
salt to taste
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/8 tsp Owa/ajmo/Ajwain seeds
1/8 tsp baking soda
Oil for deep frying or roasting
Chundo or sweet pickle
1. Mix all the dry ingredients. Add 1 tsp hot oil. Add water as needed to knead a dough.
2. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. For making Vadas - make small uniform balls, and roll into small discs/ small puri (like bhel puri diameter). Deep fry and serve.
4. For making Theplas - Make about 6 uniform balls. Roll into big flatbreads. Roast on a hot pan, brushing oil on both the sides, so brown spots appear.
1. The above recipe will yield about 6 theplas.
2. As mentioned earlier, use the exact same recipe for making dough and then roll into small puries to make "Makai na Vada".