Wednesday, June 23, 2010
GoaL Keri is a delicious pickle made with raw mangoes and jaggery. Traditionally, the peels are discarded. For me, getting good quality raw mangoes is a miracle. I just couldn't part with the peels. Though the original recipe was meant for kilos of raw mangoes, I modified it to get just enough pickle to fill my old pasta jar.
Traditionally, raw mango pieces are mixed with salt and turmeric powder and then sun dried. I skipped this step. The day starts with hot sun and suddenly there are showers in the afternoon. It' difficult to take the pickle inside when I am away in the office. However, this step is imperative if you are making a pickle on a huge quantity.
Raw Mango with Jaggery pickle
1 1/2 cup diced raw mangoes
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp fennel seeds/variyali/badishep/saunf
1/2 tsp cloves powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 cup grated jaggery
1/2 cup sesame oil
1. Mix raw mango pieces with salt and turmeric powder.
2. Set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients.
4. Stir well. The jaggery will start melting.
5. Fill in a clean, airtight glass bottle.
6. Stir every day for at least 2-3 days.
7. Add sesame oil.
8. The pickle is ready to eat.
1. The original recipe is for a huge proportion and is meant for the year-around use. Hence the mango pieces are mixed with salt and turmeric powder. This will leave moisture. So the pieces are wiped dry and sun dried for a day. Before adding the masala, they are wiped again with a clean napkin. I skipped this step because my pickle is meant to be eaten within 2 weeks. and weather is getting unpredictable here.
2. Peel the raw mangoes for the authentic taste.
3. If pickle masala has salt in it, adjust additional salt accordingly.