Tuesday, June 22, 2010
There are two types of Gujarati Khichdis made in my family. One is the pulao like - which is also the preferred one and the other is porridge like which is as below.
Dal & Rice Porridge
1/4 cup yellow moong daal
2 tbsp green moong daal, split
1/4 cup rice
salt to taste
2 1/2 cup water
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Rinse daal and rice. Soak in sufficient water for 1 hour.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
3. Add all the tempering ingredients.
4. As they sizzle, add drained daal and rice mixture and warm water.
5. Add salt to taste and coriander-cumin seed powder.
6. Bring to boil.
7. Switch the gas to low. Simmer for 20 - 25 minutes, checking in between.
8. Switch off the gas. Cover with a lid.
9. Do not open the lid for at least 10 minutes.
1. Water should be 4 - 5 times more than the daal-rice mixture.
2. Traditionally, this khichdi is served with a dollop of ghee/clarified butter and/or plain yogurt.