Thursday, June 3, 2010
Lush green chickpea leaves was the first harvest from my kitchen garden this year. I made thepla from the first batch.
Chickpea Greens Flatbread
1 cup fresh chickpea greens
1cup wheat flour
1/2 cup bajra flour
1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ginger-garlic-green chili paste
1/2 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/8 tsp owa/ajmo/carrom seeds
1 tsp oil
flour for dredging
oil for roasting/frying
1. Rinse chickpea greens. Let them dry. Take off the tiny leaves. Set aside. I do not chop them as they are quite tiny & tender.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients. Stir in chickpea leaves. Using water as needed, knead the dough. Add 1 tsp oil. Knead again. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Make 9 uniform balls. Roll into thin flatbreads.
4. Roast on a hot tawa or griddle till brown spots appear on both sides.
5. Store in a container covered with a clean kitchen napkin till ready to use.
1. You can chop the leaves if you like.