Sunday, June 27, 2010

Baked Vada Pav


When my chicken bun roll was well received by my family, I decided to go back to my roots! Well, I am a Mumbaikar after all, so why not stuff Mumbai's most beloved snack - batatavada inside the roll and make baked vada pav? I could have deep fried vadas and stuffed it inside. But then I thought since I am anyway going to place the vadas in 400F for 20 minutes, won't that besan batter get cooked too? Thus this recipe got created.

After taking the baked vada pav out, I made a slit to sprinkle some fiery garlic chutney. Enjoy!:-D

Baked Vada Pav
Mumbai's beloved burger - baked!
Ingredients
1 recipe bun dough
1 recipe batata vada stuffing
1 recipe batata vada batter
1 recipe garlic chutney

Method
1. Follow the directions to make buns dough as described here. This time instead of using 2 cups bread flour, I used 1 cup bread flour and 1 cup wheat flour -Aashirwad brand. It is said that when you use wheat flour instead of bread flour, you may need to use more water. So if the dough looks too dry, add a spoonful of water. Do not add too much water. Though the original recipe asked for skim milk, I made my dough using water.
2. Follow the directions as described here to make batata vada stuffing. I used 3 medium potatoes for the 9 buns
3. Follow the directions as described here to make besan batter. Make sure that batter should be on the thicker side.Since the batter needs to be made for 3 medium potatoes, make the batter proportion accordingly.
4. Make 9 uniform balls with the dough. Make 9 uniform vada balls. Keep the batter ready in a bowl to dip.
5. Preheat oven to 400 F



6. Roll a dough ball into a disc. Dip a vada ball in the batter making sure that it is coated with the batter. Place it on the disc.
7. Close the disc and pinch it on top so the vada is enclosed completely.



8. Keep aside covered, till you repeat the steps to make all the buns.




9. Cover and keep them aside for 30 minutes.
10. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes.
11. After taking out, make a slit. Sprinkle red garlic chutney.


12. Eat hot baked vada pav.

Note -
1. Besan batter should be thick so it does not make the bun dough watery.
2. Generally I keep the seam side down. But after placing one bun that way (as seen above), I worried that besan batter may come out. So I placed the seam side up. In the end, it didn't matter. Besan batter didn't drip either way.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs