Tomato cha Methamba
Sweet Tomato Pickle
4 ripe tomatoes, chopped approx = 4 1/4 cups
1/4 cup grated jaggery
salt to taste
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
2. As the seeds sizzle, add tomatoes. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
3. Now, add chili powder and jaggery.
4. Let it cook in its own juices for 12 minutes.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Let it simmer for 12 minutes. Switch off the gas.
7. The pickle will thicken in about 10 minutes.
1. Fenugreek seeds are important in this pickle. Do not replace or omit them to get the correct flavor.
2. Refrigerate after using. Use within 4 days.