Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pudinewali Kadhi

As I mentioned before, I learnt this Kadhi from my Punjabi friend. I actually have another version of Punjabi kadhi with wadies in the draft. But addition of mint makes this kadhi totally different than the other version. I added mint out of sheer curiosity. It definitely added extra punch and flavor.

This Kadhi seems like a perfect addition to our summer menu especially since my mint is growing outrageously.

Pudinewali Kadhi
Buttermilk curry with fresh mint
1 cup plain yogurt
2 cups water
2 tbsp besan/chickpea flour
salt to taste
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 small tomato, chopped

2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp minced onion
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste

6-7 fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 green chilies, minced/chopped/slit - depending on heat, reduce the amount or just add slit the chilies instead of mincing them

1. Whisk yogurt, water and besan together to make a smooth mixture without any lumps
2. Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
3. Add onion. Saute till soft, add ginger-garlic paste. Saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add tomato pieces. Fry for 1 minute. Add garam masala. Mix well.
5. Now add yogurt mixture, salt to taste. Add more water, if needed to get the desired consistency.
6. Keep stirring till it comes to a rapid boil.
7. Switch the gas to low. Let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
8. Switch off the gas. Stir in mint leaves and green chilies. Cover with a lid. Set aside for at least 5 minutes before serving.
9. Serve with plain rice or khichdi.

Note -
1. My friend advised me to pass the yogurt-water-besan mixture through a sieve to make sure that there is no lump remaining. I don't bother with this step because I am always in a hurry!!
2. If you do not have fresh mint, just skip mint altogether. Do not use dried mint. It will taste totally different.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs