"Food for me was a connecting link to my grandmother, to my childhood, to my past. And what I found out is that for everybody, food is a connector to their roots, to their past in different ways. It gives you security; it gives you a profile of who you are, where you come from." - Lidia Matticchio Bastianich
This bhaaji can be made dry or with a little gravy. When carrying as a part of lunch box (PoLi-bhaaji cha daba), mom makes it dry.
Dudhi chi Bhaaji (Moog daal ghalun)
Bottle gourd-moong daal Curry Ingredients
1 medium bottle gourd/dudhi, peeled, chopped
1/4 cup yellow moong daal, soaked in water for 3 hours
(if you are in a hurry, soak it in warm water for 1/2 hour)
salt to taste
Grind to a coarse paste
2 tbsp fresh coconut
2 green chilies (or to taste)
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1. Heat oil in a kadai or saucepan. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
2. As they sizzle, add drained moong daal. Saute for 3 minutes. Add bottle gourd pieces. Saute for 1 minute.
3. Add ground coconut paste, 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil.
4. Switch the gas to low. Cover partially with a lid. Check from time to time sothat the water is not evaporated. Let it cook till bottle gourd is soft. But daal should not be a complete mush.
5. Add salt to taste. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
1. If you want a gravy, add more water or for dry subzi, let the water evaporate completely.