Ambe DaaL, Watli or MokLi DaaL & Panhe used to our favorite snack during Chaitra - spring time in Mumbai.
Watli DaaL or MokLi DaaL
वाटली डाळ / मोकळी डाळ
1 cup chana daal, soaked overnight, drained, grind to a coarse paste adding very little water
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 tbsp (or more!) fresh coconut
1/4 cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Grind drained daal to a coarse paste, adding just few sprinkles of water.
2. Heat oil in a kadai or wok or saucepan.
3. Add the ingredients for tempering.
4. Add daal paste, chili powder, salt and sugar.
5. Stir fry for 12 - 15 minutes without adding any water or covering.
6. Keep stirring frequently to make sure the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
7. Garnish with coconut & cilantro. Serve with a lemon wedge per serving.
1. This daal becomes dry if kept for a longer time. Hence more coconut is added as a garnish.