Tondli chi Bhaaji
तोंडली ची भाजी
Gherkins Stir Fry
1 lb tondli/tindora/tendli/gherkins/ivygourds, both ends cut, sliced
2 potatoes, peeled & sliced
1/2 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
1 tsp jaggery
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafeotida
1 tbsp goda masala
1 tbsp fresh coconut
1. Slice tondlis and potatoes. Soak them in water till you make the saucepan ready.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. As they sizzle, stir in goda masala. Saute for 1 minute.
3. Now add drained vegetables. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Switch gas to low. Cover with a lid. Pour some water on the lid. If vegetables stick to the bottom of the pan, add some water from the lid and replace more water on the lid.
4. Let it cook for 15 - 20 minutes or till the tondlis are cooked. Add jaggery, chili powder and salt. Let all the water evaporate.
5. Garnish with coconut.
1. In order to expedite the cooking process, you can use a pressure pan. Make tempering, add veggies and cook till 2 whistles and then let the water evaporate.2
2. You can also add some chopped onion in the tempering before adding goda masala. Make sure that onion is soft and then add goda masala and proceed to follow the rest of the procedure.