Wednesday, April 28, 2010
For the longest time, I genuinely believed that egg burji was something my maushi invented. Though it's one of the popular street foods of Mumbai, I never tasted it outside. But here's my maushi's recipe.
Burji - pavSpicy Scrambled egg with bread
salt to taste
1 tsp + 1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp mild chili powder or paprika
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup green peas
Grind to fine paste
1/4 cup cilantro
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2" ginger
2-3 green chilies
1 tbsp oil or ghee
1 onion, chopped approx = 1/2 cup
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 roma tomatoes, chopped approx = 1/2 cup
1. Heat oil/ghee in a saucepan. Add onion and turmeric powder. Saute till onion is soft.
2. Add tomatoes and green paste. saute for 12 - 15 minutes on a medium flame. Tomatoes should turn into a mush.
3. Add 1 tsp garam masala, salt and chili powder. Saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add 1/4 cup water. As it starts to bubble, switch gas to lowest. Break eggs and keep stirring till scrambled egg consistency is reached.
5. Stir in 1/4 cup green peas. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 tsp garam masala.
6. Stir till water almost evaporates. Little water may remain. Switch off the gas. Cover and set aside.
7. Serve with laadi paav.
1/4 cup water is added for so the eggs are cooked without getting too dry.