1 big or 2-3 small ridge gourds, peeled & chopped
salt to taste
2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2-3 red chilies, halved
1/2 tsp urad daal
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add all the ingredients for tempering. As the daal changes to reddish, add cut vegetables.
2. Sprinkle some water. fry for 2 minutes.
3. Cover with a lid. Keep some water on the lid.
4. Let it cook till gourd is soft.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Garnish with fresh coconut
1. You can add any other oil of your choice. But coconut oil imparts the most authentic flavor.