Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Maharashtrians use methi sprouts in their usaLs as well as pulaos. If you find using just methi sprouts a bit daunting, start with combining them with matki sprouts, like my mom does.
Matki-Methi chi UsaL
Methi & Muth sprouts Stir fry
1 1/2 cup matki sprouts
1 1/2 cup methi sprouts
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp jaggery
1 tbsp goda masala
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tbsp scraped coconut (optional)
1. Follow the instructions to sprout muth beans and methi seeds.
2. Pressure cook both the sprouts adding adequate amount of water for up to 2 whistles. Make sure they do not turn into a mush. Set aside to cool down.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan or kadai. Add mustard seeds, asafeotida and turmeric powder. As they sizzle, add onion and garlic. Saute till they are soft.
4. Add goda masala. Saute for 1 minute. Add cooked sprouts, 1/2 cup water, jaggery, salt and chili powder.
5. Simmer till all the water is evaporated.
6. Garnish with cilantro and coconut - if using. Serve with lemon wedges along with chapatis.
1. I didn't use coconut.
2. If you have never tried methi sprouts and are skeptical about using them, try muth sprouts:methi sprouts ratio 1:1/4 and gradually start increasing the amount next time.