Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Try this unusual flat bread when you are inundated with Zucchinis in the supermarkets or backyard gardens.
Zucchini na Thepla
1 medium zucchini, grated coarsely (approx = 1 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 cup wheat flour1 tbsp sesame seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds powder (optional)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp chili-ginger paste
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/4 tsp carrom seeds/ajmo/owa/ajwain
water as needed
1 tsp oil
salt to taste
oil for roasting
1. Mix all the ingredients except water and oil. Try to knead using the moisture from zucchini first and then add water gingerly to make a dough. Add 1 tsp oil and knead some more till the dough does not stick to your hand. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
2. Roll into thin flat breads/theplas. Roast on a hot tawa/pan/griddle adding oil as needed. Roast on both the sides till brown spots appear.
3. Keep covered in a clean cotton kitchen napkin or aluminum foil.
1. While roasting I use oil only for one side of the flat bread
2. I have used both chili powder and chili-ginger paste. For the milder taste, use any of the two.