2 cups masoor sprouts or 1 cup soaked masoor/lentil
1 bunch watercress, roughly chopped
salt to taste
1 tsp oil for roasting
*Roast and grind (See instructions below)
1/2 onion, sliced (approx = 1/2 cup sliced onion)
1/4 cup coconut
1 or 2 cloves garlic (approx 1 tbsp chopped)
1 tsp Malvani Masala (or per taste)
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
2 tsp oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1. Pressure cook lentils and set aside
2. Heat oil in a cast iron or iron pan. Roast onion and garlic till they are brown but not burnt. Take out and set aside. Add coconut and fry till it is brown. Grind all the roasted ingredients along with 2 tbsp cooked masoor and malvani masala.
3. Heat oil for tempering in a saucepan. Add onion, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Saute till onion is soft. Add chopped watercress. Saute till the watercress is wilted.
4. Now lightly mash the masoor. Add it to the watercress mixture. Also add the ground masala.
5. Add water to adjust the consistency of the curry. Add salt. Bring to boil.
6. Switch the gas to low. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Cover.
7. Serve with chapati, bhakri or rice.
1. If you do not have malvani masala, use 1/2 tsp garam masala and 1/2 tsp chili powder. Adjust the chili powder depending on the desired heat.