Steamed cream of rice dumplings
1 cup cream of rice/idli rawa/coarsely powdered rice
2 cups water
salt to taste
1/4 cup fresh coconut
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
2 byadgi chilies, halved
1. Heat oil in a kadai or saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
2. As they splutter, stir in the cream of rice
3. Fry for 1 minute. Add water and salt.
4. As it reaches porridge like consistency, add fresh coconut. Cover and switch off the gas.
5. When the mixture is still warm, makes small marble sized balls using greased hands.
6. Press each ball with your thumb to make a depression.
7. Steam all the balls for 15 minutes.
8. Serve hot with a dollop of coconut oil
1. Do not use rice flour. It has to have a coarse semolina like consistency.
2. I have reduced the quantity of the coconut.