कैरी कांदा लोणचे
Raw Mango-White Onion Pickle
1 raw mango, chopped into dice
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp mild chili powder
1 tbsp jaggery
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds/methi daaNe
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder and fenugreek seeds.
2. As they start spluttering, add onion. Saute for 2 minutes. Now add raw mango pieces. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover with a lid. Cook till soft.
3. Add chili powder, jaggery and salt. Let the jaggery melt completely. Simmer till thick achar kind of consistency is reached.
4. Switch off the gas. Let it cool down completely. Transfer in a ceramic bowl.
5. Refrigerate after using. Use within 2-3 days in the fridge.
1. Use only white onion for this recipe. I am not talking about spring onion or scallion.
2. Since this pickle needs to be finished within 2-3 days, always make it in a small quantity.