Thursday, February 4, 2010
Last weekend, I went to the newly opened oriental market. I found some amazingly different and delectable veggies and fruit there. They even had "tadgola" - unfortunately it was not cut and I have no idea how to extract the fruit from it. So though I was really tempted to buy it, I just bought bottle gourd (dudhi), bittergourd (karela) and eggplants.
As I was driving home, I thought of the curry which I have not blogged it yet. So here it is -
Dudhi Mutter nu Shaak
Bottle gourd-green peas curry
1 medium bottle gourd, peeled, seeded, chopped approx = 3 cups
1/2 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
1 tomato, chopped
1tsp ginger-green chili paste
1 tsp Gujarati garam masala
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
A small pinch of sugar
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmercic powder.
2. As the seeds splutter, add chili-ginger paste, dudhi pieces, tomato and green peas.
3. Add 1 cup water. Cover and let it cook till dudhi is soft.
4. Add salt to taste, sugar, garam masala, chili powder.
5. Add more water to get the desired consistency. Let it simmer.
6. Garnish with cilantro.
1. You can even make this a dry curry by letting the water evaporate completely.