1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
2. As the seeds start sizzling, add all the vegetables. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
3. Now, add 1/4 cup water. Keep a lid on top with water. Let it cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes.
4. Add ground masala and more water - as needed, salt. Let it cook for another 10 minutes.
5. Switch the gas to low. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
1. You can substitute green peas for the fresh toor/tuver lilva.
2. If the eggplant and potatoes are really tiny, make 4 pieces instead of 8.
3. I have substantially reduced the amount of oil.