1 1/2 cup basmati rice, washed & drained
1/2 cup green peas, (fresh or frozen)
3 cups warm water
salt to taste
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp toop/ghee/clarified butter
1 tbsp oil
3-4 star anise/baadiya
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp Goda Masala
2 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
2 tbsp fresh coconut
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the tempering ingredients.
2. Saute for 2 minutes. Add drained rice and peas. Saute for 30 seconds.
3. Add chili powder, warm water and salt. Bring to boil.
4. Switch the gas to low. Partially cover the pan. Let it cook for 15 minutes or till rice is cooked.
5. Drizzle some ghee/clarified butter. Switch off the gas.
6. Keep it covered for 10 minutes.
7. Serve hot with maththa (spicy buttermilk) and jilbi/jalebi.
1. If you like you can add more vegetables like potatoes, cauliflower etc.
2. Use good quality/fresh goda masala for the best results as the flavor is directly dependent on this masala.