Saturday, January 23, 2010
If I am blogging about Italian rice, then it should have appeared on my Enjoy World Food, right? But this rice is neither rici a bisi nor risotto.
I had 1 cup leftover marinara sauce and about 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese. Since we were about to go on a vacation to India, I wanted to make sure I make use of all the leftovers. and then my fresh herbs from container garden were inviting me to try them. and thus my version of Italian rice - which probably may not even be made in the Italian kitchens - was born.
Similarly. salsa rice can also be made with a ready made salsa.
1 cup basmati rice, drained
1 cup tomato-basil marinara pasta sauce
1 1/2 cup frozen veggies like corn, carrots, green beans etc
2 cup water
salt to taste
A pinch of sugar
2 tsp olive oil
1-2 bay leaves
1 tbsp garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp onion, sliced
1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, minced
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add bay leaves, onion, garlic and Italian parsley.
2. Add veggies and rice. Saute for 2 minutes.
3. Now add pasta sauce. stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add water, salt, sugar. Bring to boil
5. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes till rice is cooked.
6. Just before serving, spoon rice in the individual bowls/plates. Spread spoonful of cheese or per your taste. Microwave for 30 sec to 1 minute till cheese is melted.
7. Garnish with fresh basil.
1. I add a pinch of sugar to balance the tartness of the marinara sauce.
2. If you like, you can add some whole garam masala/khada masala like cloves, peppercorns etc in the tempering.
3. I always use a crazy proportion of rice:vegetables. I go overboard by adding 1 1/2 or even double amount of veggies compared to rice. Adjust your proportion according to your own taste.