Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chicken Frankie a la Mumbai

Frankie is nothing but a wrap. There are many versions available like mutton frankie, chicken frankie, veggie frankie etc. The wrap of frankie is made from maida or all purpose flour and egg wash is applied on top. The stuffing is stuffed, sprinkled with onion mixture with amchoor powder and chaat masala. It's yum.


I tasted Malaysian paratha at my friend's home at a potluck party. The texture reminded me of Frankie wrap. So I used the Malaysian paratha (available at the freezer section of Indian stores) for my frankie here. As I was writing about Frankie, I wondered who introduced Frankie to Mumbai and when did it arrive? and I found some amazing information here. -

http://ilovetibbs.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=40

This Frankie recipe was in my draft forever. I meant to blog about it before going on vacation as a reader requested it. I sent her the recipe email but couldn't blog about it.



Chicken Frankie
Chicken Wrap - Mumbai Style
Ingredients

8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces

2 tsp oil

Marinade

1 tbsp chicken seek tikka masala (I used Sanjeev Kapoor brand)

1 tsp oil

1/2 tsp ginger -garlic paste

Garnish

2 tbsp finely chopped onions

1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves

A generous pinch of Amchoor powder

A generous pinch of chaat masala

A generous pinch of chili powder

salt if needed

few drops freshly squeezed lemon


Also

Malaysian Paratha (Frozen)

Method

1. Whisk the marinade. Marinate chicken pieces at least for 1 hour in refrigerator.

2. Heat oil in a pan. Add chicken pieces. Stir fry till they are cooked. Set aside.

3. Make the frozen parathas according to the instructions on the packet.

4. Spread some cooked chicken on paratha.

5. Spread some garnish of onions, cilantro, powders and lemon juice per taste. Roll into a wrap using a toothpick to secure the wrap.

6. Serve immediately.



Note
1. The original frankie needs egg wash. I avoided that step as the frozen Malaysian paratha has plenty of oil and it's quite flaky.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs