Aaji's Batatyacha Rassa
आजीचा बटाट्याचा रस्सा
Whole Potato Curry
1 lb baby potatoes, pricked, boiled, peeled
salt to taste
1 tsp chili powder
2 - 3 kokums, rinsed
1 tbsp jaggery (or to taste)
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp goda masala
1 - 2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
1 tbsp fresh coconut
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1. Wash and prick baby potatoes with a fork. Pressure cook, peel and keep them whole. Take 3-4 potatoes and mash them coarsely and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder and curry leaves. As curry leaves start to sizzle, add goda masala. Saute for 1 minute. Add 2 tbsp water.
3. Place whole potatoes gently. Add 1 1/2 cup water, chili powder, kokums, salt, jaggery. Bring to boil.
4. Add mashed potatoes. Switch the gas to low. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir in coconut and cilantro.
6. Serve hot with chapatis or rice
1. Those 3 -4 potatoes are mashed to give the thickness to this simple curry.
2. Goda masala is a must for this recipe.
3. Because of the goda masala, kokum and jaggery, this curry tastes spicy-sweet-sour. Adjust jaggery-kokum proportion per your taste.