Last week, I was working from home. It was cold. and I felt like having that delicious pongal. I tweaked the recipe and my version of pongal was created. It's now my comfort food.
Pongal - (Serves 1)
1/4 cup basmati rice
1/4 cup yellow moong daal
salt to taste
1 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup water
Roast & crush coarsely
9 black peppercorns
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp oil or ghee
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
1/8 tsp asafoetida
4 dahyatli mirchi/curd chilies
1. Wash and drain daal and rice. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. As the leaves sizzle, add dahi mirchi/curd chilies.
3. When the chilies start puffing up, lower the gas, add daal and rice. Fry for a minute.
4. Add 1 1/2 cup water, salt to taste and crushed black peppercorns.
5. Switch the gas to high. Bring to boil. Now lower the gas again. Cover and let it cook for 20 minutes on a low flame.
6. Now add remaining water and let it cook again for 10 more minutes.
7. Switch off the gas. Keep covered for 5 minutes before serving.
1. Do not powder the peppercorns. Just crush them coarsely using mortar and pestle.