Friday, December 4, 2009

Chora na Vada

Have you ever met someone who tells the world what not to do and does exactly that? Look no further, I am talking about myself!!!:-D Well, when I blogged about chora daal, I warned everyone that you may mistake it for urad daal and it has totally different taste and flavor, so beware!! and guess what? I soaked it myself for making idlis. Luckily, because of some divine intervention, I realized and could save it just in time. So I drained it and ground it and decided to to make these vadas.

Of course, instead of deep frying, I just used Appe pan.

Chora na Vada
Cowpeas Daal VadasIngredients
1 cup chora daal, soaked
2 tbsp yogurt
2 tbsp whole wheat organic buttermilk pancake flour (optional)
1/2 cup fresh methi, chopped
salt to taste
1 tsp ginger-green chili paste/watela aadu-marcha
1/2 tsp asafoetida

Oil for frying

Crush to a coarse powder
8 - 10 black peppercorn
1 tsp coriander seeds

1. Soak chora daal for 4 hours.
2. Drain. Grind to a fine paste with very little water.
3. Add all the remmaining ingredients.
4. Heat Appe pan/patra/kayili. Add a drop of oil.
5. Drop spoonful of the batter. Cover and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Turn over and cook on the other side, adding oil as needed

Note -
1. Do not soak chora daal more than 4-5 hours.
2. I used whole foods brand organic pancake mix.
3. Use more or less fresh methi/fenugreek leaves based on your taste.
4. If you do not want to use pancake flour, add a pinch of baking soda.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs