Monday, November 9, 2009
I was wrapping up my garden over the weekend. Today, I am celebrating the last batch from my tomato plant with this shaak.
Kacha tameta nu shaak
Raw Tomatoes Stir Fry
5 green tomatoes, sliced, approx. = 2 1/2 cups
1-2 potatoes, peeled & sliced, approx = 1 cup
1 tsp jaggery
1 tsp coriander-cumin powder/dhana jiru
1 tsp green chili - ginger paste
salt to taste
1 1/2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the ingredients for tempering.
2. As the seeds splutter, add potatoes. saute for 2 minutes.
3. Now, add sliced green tomatoes. saute for 1 minute.
4. Stir in green chili-ginger paste, coriander-cumin powder. Cover. Let the tomatoes cook in their own juices for about 10 minutes or so.
5. Add salt to taste & jaggery. Check for the doneness of potatoes.
6. Serve with hot rotli/chapati
1. Use heavy bottomed saucepan else the veggies will stick. We are not adding any water since they need to be cooked in their own juice.
2. Depending on the individual preference, more/less jaggery or spices can be added.
3. The tomatoes should retain their individual slices and shouldn't be a total mush.