Gawarichi bhaaji (kala vatana ghalun)
गवारीची भाजी (काळा वाटाणा घालून)
Cluster Beans Stir fry (1)
1 lb cluster beans/gawar/guvar sing/gawar phali, broken into 2" pieces approx = 2 cups
3/4 cup kala vatana sprouts
1/2 - 1 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup coconut milk (Optional)
1 tsp jaggery
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp goda masala
1 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
1. Pressure cook kala vatana sprouts and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or kadai. Add mustard seeds, turmeric powder and asafoetida. As the seeds splutter, lower the gas. Add goda masala. Saute for 1 minute till the incredible aroma starts wafting from your kitchen!
3. Now add cluster beans. Add 2 tbsp water. Cover the pan with a lid. Place water on the lid. Let it cook till cluster beans are cooked.
4. Add chili powder & cooked kala vatana sprouts. Add salt, jaggery.
5. Now add coconut milk - if using. Let it simmer till the liquid is completely evaporated.
6. Garnish with fresh coconut.
7. Serve with chapatis.
1. If you want you can steam cluster beans before adding to the tempering. In that case, cooking time is drastically reduced.
2. 1/4 cup dry kala vatana will give about 3/4 cup sprouts. You need to soak them overnight, and then sprout them as mentioned here.