This is a vegetarian (and may be even Vegan!) version of much loved Kolumbi bhaat or prawns rice. I am using "may be" because many vegetarians in India do not consume mushrooms as they do not consider them as "vegetarian" enough! But I have seen that many vegans here consume mushrooms. So I guess, it's a personal choice.
1 cup rice
1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
Grind to paste1 (Brown)
1/4 cup coconut, roasted till brown
1 tbsp coriander seeds, roasted
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
7 black peppercorns
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp tamarind paste/pulp
Grind to paste2 (Green)
1/4 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
2-3 green chilies (oer per taste)
2-3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp oil
1" cinnamon piece
1 bay leaf
2 green cardamoms, slightly opened
1 small onion, sliced
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp chili powder (or per taste)
1. Rinse the rice and drain. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add spices for tempering. As they sizzle, add onion and turmeric powder. Saute till onion is soft.
3. Add green paste. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
4. Now add sliced mushrooms. Fry for 1 minute.
5. Stir in brown paste. Fry for 2 minutes.
6. Now add drained rice. Saute for 1 minute. Add 2 1/4 cups water, salt to taste, chili powder - if using. Bring to boil.
7. Lower the gas. Cover and let it cook till rice is cooked.
8. Garnish with coconut and cilantro.
9. Serve with a lemon wedge on side.
1. Instead of 2 1/4 cup water, 2 cups water and 1/4 cup coconut milk can be used.