Friday, October 9, 2009

Whole Moong Carrot Khichdi

I came home late from work. I wanted to make a one dish meal. Something quick yet wholesome. When I opened the fridge, I found moong sprouts and carrots. I decided to combine them together with rice.

I have already blogged about another version here.


Whole Moong-Carrot Khichdi
Ingredients
1 cup basmati rice, washed & drained
2 cups moong sprouts
2 cups grated carrots
5 cups water
salt to taste
2 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder



Tempering
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder



Method
1. Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafeotida and turmeric powder
2. Add basmati, sprouts and carrots. Saute without breaking the sprouts.
3. Add chili powder, coriander-cumin seed powder.
4. Add water & salt. Bring to boil.
5. As it comes to a rapid boil, switch the gas to low. Let it cook for 7 minutes.
6. Cover and let it cook for 15 minutes.
7. Switch off the gas after checking if the rice is cooked.
8. Serve hot with Kadhi, pickle, papad of your choice. I served it with a plain yogurt.



Note -
1. If you find my proportion of rice:moong sprouts:grated carrots = 1:2:2 outrageous, please use your own proportions. But yes, it's not a typo. I actually use more sprouts and veggies than the rice.
2. You can make this rice spicier by adding ginger-garlic paste, garam masala, khada masala - whole spices. But I have kept it with minimal spices.


This post is my entry to EC's WYF - Light Meal event.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs