Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Vangi Bhath - Eggplant Rice

Yesterday, after a long time, I got a chance to blog hop. I found a new blog. I was enjoying the pictures & recipes. and I stumbled on my own picture on that blog, of course without any credit or link, posing as that blogger's own. You know, sometimes, I am even too bored to confront. I had two options.
(1) Ignore and pretend that I didn't notice. After all, I am not getting enough time to visit all the blogs these days anyways. Yesterday was an exception. so just ignore and move on.
(2) Let the blogger know. Maybe she doesn't know the simple blogging etiquette that one cannot copy!

I did what I needed to do. I left a comment explaining that if we download a picture from a blog and display on our blog without giving any credit, it's called plagiarism. I would like to give a benefit of doubt before exposing the blogger. I sincerely wish, that blogger understands the importance of the original work and I hope she did it out of ignorance. Why can't we all enjoy this wonderful process of blogging?
Update - I am happy to report that the blogger has taken off the picture. I am happy about it. and the matter ends there.

Well, it's time to share the recipe of the day. I love this Vangi Bhath. I use MTR vangi bhath masala because I really think it's very good. But one day I do want to make this masala at home. Let's see when that day comes!!:-D



Vangi Bhath
Eggplant Fried Rice
Ingredients
1 1/2 cup rice, rinsed, cooked & allowed to cool completely
1 cup sliced eggplants, preferably Indian variety
1 tsp tamarind pulp
2 tbsp MTR vangi bhath masala (or per taste)
salt to taste
1 tsp grated jaggery or sugar

Tempering
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp chana daal/bengal gram
1 tbsp cashew nuts
2 red chilies, broken into pieces

Garnish
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
Lemon juice, freshly squeezed (optional)
1 tbsp fresh coconut

Method
1. Let the cooked rice cool completely. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wide & heavy bottomed wok. Add the ingredients for tempering.
3. As they splutter, add eggplant slices. Stir fry till they are cooked.
4. Stir in MTR Vangi bhath powder, tamarind pulp, 2 tbsp water, salt & jaggery.
5. Now add cooked rice. And mix the mixture without letting the rice grains break.
6. When the rice is heated through, switch off the gas. Cover and keep aside for 5 minutes before serving.
7. Garnish with cilantro and coconut before serving. If desired, drizzle some freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Notes
1. My recipe is based on the recipe provided on the back of MTR Vangi Bhath powder.
2. Sometimes, I add more veggies along with or sometimes even without eggplants.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs