Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tariwale Rajma - Rajma Curry

I am surprised at myself that I haven't yet blogged this wonderful kideny beans curry from Punjab. My maushi learnt Tariwale Rajma from her friend, who used to have rajma-chawal at her home every other Sunday. The original recipe is quite time-consuming where rajma beans are slow cooked on the flame and onion paste takes forever to get roasted. I feel if you do not roast that raw onion paste, the curry is completely spoilt. In my hectic time schedule, I have come up with my own variation where I boil the onions and tomatoes in order to reduce that sauteing time. So it goes without saying that this is a variation from the original recipe. Tariwale Rajma - made my way!



Tariwale Rajma
Rajma Curry
Ingredients
1 cup kidney beans, soaked overnight
2 onions, chopped, approx. = 1 1/2 cups*
2 tomatoes, chopped, approx. = 3/4 cup

2 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
1 tsp red chili powder
salt to taste

Grind to paste1
*Boiled onions from above
2 green chilies (or more!)
2 garlic cloves
1 1/2' ginger

Grind to paste2
** Boiled tomatoes

Tempering
2 tbsp oil
paste1

Method
1. In the 3 containers of the pressure cooker, cook rajma, onions and tomatoes.
2. Grind boiled onions (drained) with the remaining ingredients for paste1
3. Grind boiled tomatoes (drained) for paste 2
4. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add paste1.
5. Saute well for 20 minutes. Cover with a lid partially as the onion paste will start spluttering.
6. Now, add tomato paste. Saute for 10 minutes.
7. Add powders, salt. Fry for 5 minutes.
8. Add cooked rajma along with cooking liquid and 1/2 cup water.
9. Bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust the consistency as desired.
10. Cover and keep aside for 5 minutes before serving.

Note -
1. The original recipe calls for sauteing raw onion and tomato paste. It requires sauteing for a long time till the raw smell of onions goes away.
2. If possible, use freshly roasted coriander-cumin powder.




This post is my entry to Divya Vikram's JFI - Rajma
JFI event is started by Indira of Mahanandi.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs